Things to do & Places to Visit in Devon
PLEASE NOTE: During Covid-19 some of the things below may not be available, we can advise when you book
Around the farm:
- If you are a family there is a trampoline & tree house in the farm orchard. Please supervise your children.
- The river has plenty of places where you can get down to it safely to paddle and with a fishing net catch sticklebacks and other small waterlife. Play pooh sticks. Have a picnic.
- Walk through our newly planted wood where you can see many wild flowers, butterflies, birds animals etc. A real nature ramble.
- Sometimes lambs to feed depending on time of year.
- One of the family will take you on a guided tour of the farm explaining various aspects of the farm business, please book a time with us to do this. May be limited during 2021.
- A public path runs through the farm & joins up with the Two Moors Way for a longer ramble to Witheridge and say buy an ice cream.
- Visit a local fete or other fundraising village function. We also have indoor games & DVDs etc for those occasional wet days.(On request in 2020/21)
- Artists find the light amazing here in the south west and garden lovers are in heaven with the many varied gardens to visit.
- Enjoy the nightsky and spot the Plough, or the Milky Way without light pollution spoiling your view. Exmoor is a dark sky venue as well.
- Watch the bats emerge at dusk.
- We have lots of attraction leaflets in the cottages to choose from & we can suggest days out ( On request during 2020/21)
- Visit Bob Crooks glass just half a mile away to see this renowned artist at work or purchase some glass.
- Local potters David & Jenny Selby offering Raku courses just 2 miles away. Paint a pot, fire it and take it home.May be closed 2020/21
Below you will also find more things to do during your stay at Hele Barton what ever your interest. Click on the bold underlined type and it will take you through to the websites telling you more about the attraction. Please check in 2020/21 as many are cancelled, not open or you have to book.
Historic Houses and gardens to stroll in. Plant sales at both. Costume Exhibitions at Killerton.
Situated near Great Torrington less than an hour’s drive to visit lovely Lady Anne’s garden and under the road to the now established RHS garden & centre. The roses are especially a sight to see.
Lots of local private gardens open whatever time of the year, many holding National Collections.
Great walks for all the family around this historic forest boasting many fine trees.
This way marked walk takes you across stunning & varied countryside through Dartmoor & the Mid-Devon area to cross Exmoor and finish at Lynton.
Explore nearer to your holiday base with marked walks locally & around the villages. We have maps for you to borrow.
Join in the local walking group at Witheridge, on a Monday the local striders do a 4-6 mile walk or on a Sunday the strollers do a more gentle walk.
Queens Theatre Barnstaple & Landmark Theatre Ilfracombe if you enjoy a show.
This is really local at South Molton so just a 20min drive and another unique attraction. A new site opens in 2019 so exciting times ahead for this attraction.
Horse-drawn barge trips, boat hire and refreshments on the Ducks Ditty (floating Cafe/Bar) throughout the summer season (April-October). Plus visitors can enjoy the Grand Western Canal for walking, cycling and wildlife spotting all year round Opening May17th 2021
Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway where Exmoor meets the sea.
Local agricultural shows Dates may be different from previous years so check & some already cancelled for 2021
From May to September there are many of these events in Devon. Look out for the one day events Mid Devon Saturday 24th July 2021,
Exeter racecourse Our nearest National Hunt course
Newton Abbot racecourse Summer racing is a feature of this NH course
Exeter Chiefs rugby The south west Premier rugby club.
Visit Sandy Park home of the Exeter Chiefs rugby club & conference centre.
From November through to June these are a part of the Westcountry scene. We can give you a guide to fixtures as we have a shared interest with our own thoroughbred horses here on the farm which we can show you and talk about.
During September & October you will find these locally many with vintage machinery & horses ploughing. There are also wonderful cake & flower classes to see.
This unique attraction near St Austell is well worth hour & half drive a visit.
Farmers markets found in the local towns of Crediton, Tiverton and further afield.